Skip to main content

Love the house you live in - Part 3

The Bedroom(s)

Where do I even start when it comes to bedrooms.
Ours are a mess, and trying to convince my daughter to sleep in her own is a chore on it's own. So to try and entice her to sleep more in her own bed, we (well... I... ) decided that she could redecorate her room how she wanted it. Below is the before picture, and as we're in the middle of re-painting I'll post the after in another post.
Previously the walls were grey (and clearly needed a lot of patch work!) and the room has white trim.


She decided that she wanted a rainbow room.
There's no way I'm going to test the limits of my abysmal wall painting skills to paint the walls rainbow (I'd like to think I have quite a few artistic talents, but wall painting is not one of them), so we compromised on pink walls with rainbow decals. I'm also eyeing up some super cute sun catcher window decals! I'm also hoping to make this into a room that can grow with her, so that when she changes her mind in a few years about what she wants her room to feel like, it's a quick update.

Vision Board

Top Right: I picked up a decorative storm lantern from IKEA and will be creating a fairy garden in it
Bottom Right: Once again utilizing my CAD skills, I've kindly asked my husband to create a doll house to fit in an awkward space that will easily be turned into a bookshelf when she gets a older and no 
longer wants a doll house
Bottom Left: Polymer clay to the rescue! I'll be making a light switch cover that incorporates rainbows and unicorns into it
Bottom Middle: I love the idea of her having a place to display her art. So while I probably won't go with the words on the wall, I will be hanging up a couple of lines so she can display her latest creations

Top and Middle Left:  I love these items, and they've really driven a lot of the room. I've included their Etsy store names in case you want to check them out too! (no affiliations, just really loved the items!)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creating the backyard of your dreams

Let's talk gardens. I LOVE my garden. It's by far my favorite part of our house / yard, but it hasn't been quick. When we first bought our house, the backyard had been over-run by dogs and weeds. Our yard was also almost a foot lower than both of our neighbors, and as such we had a LOT of flooding issues during spring thaw. First step was to raise the yard to be level with the properties on either side of us. With my work, I do a lot of grading planning, so we were able to utilize that to ensure that we could minimize water runoff issues. I cannot stress this enough.  When re-designing an outdoor space.  HAVE A PLAN. Understand where you want water to go. How the sun moves across the yard Can your neighbors see you? Do you want them to? Common travel paths If you have pets, where you want them to do their business Do you want a garden? Do you want to plant flowers every year? Or would you rather lower maintenance perennials? Do you have trees? Do you want trees? Do you have

Welcome to my journey

Do you ever crave a simpler life? I know I have been. Even more so now with all the social distancing / voluntary isolation. Less has become more. Here's one mom's journey to buying less stuff, using what she has, and enjoying life more. Also, what I've found to work for me in regards to: Gardening Re-decorating and renovating the family home Living with a high energy 4 year old My art journey  and any other topic that I think might bring value

Love the house you live in - Part 2

The Living Room After decluttering, I started moving around furniture.  Being lucky enough to work with CAD software on a daily basis I was able to move the furniture around digitally before committing to any kind of layout. The upstairs of our house is a large open concept where the living room flows into the dining area into the kitchen.  Do you know what also flows? Clutter.    The goal is to eventually put back some walls that had been taken down by previous owners, and give spaces a dedicated purpose. And to slow that flow of clutter! Currently, this is what the space has been changed to. An open sided Ikea bookshelf allows for light from the window to flow through the room, while also creating a small reading nook. Lighting is a big issue in this room, and will be addressed when we go through renovations No large scale remodelling renovations are planned for this space, they'll just include the items shown below in red. A bit of the wall will be extended, a post to be added (